Monday, September 22, 2008

Are you stuck?

Kendra asks,"How do I eject a CD or DVD on my Mac when pressing the eject button doesn't work?"

This is a great question that I myself had to search apple support for the answer when I first had this problem on my first mac. Especially when you think that a stuck disc is going to mean sending your machine in for repair. Firstly, remember old CD and DVD drives from those PC computers you used to use and how when I disc wouldn't eject you would grab a paper clip and bend it straight to press on that magic manual eject button? Don't try that on a mac, cause you will search forever and never find such a button. In fact you might damage something. The solution is easier than it might seem.

In general a CD or DVD can be ejected on a Mac (MacBook or MacBook Pro) using the physical eject button or from the finder without any problems, but occasionally this don’t work and the disc icon might disappear from your Desktop and you can’t get the disc out of your computer. However, there is a trick you can try to extract the stuck disc.

  • Restart your Mac
  • After you hear the startup chime, press and hold your trackpad button
  • After a minute or so and you think nothing is gonna happen the disc ejects
  • Release the button once the disc ejects
99% of the time this will work. The other 1% has a more advance solution that I won't publish. So if it doesn't work for you. Just contact us and we'll walk you through it.

No comments: