Friday, August 15, 2008

Virus on a Mac?

So my older brother downloaded some malicious software on my parent's iMac. Boom: computer doesn't work. My dad took it to the local Mac fix-it shop and they said they couldn't revive it. For the record, he was using Windows through Boot Camp when he downloaded said software.

Mac's don't get viruses in their native OS (although there is a Trojan Horse or two out there), but if you use Boot Camp to run Windows on a Mac, the Windows partition is vulnerable to malicious Windows software.

I'm completely ready to trash the Windows partition and start from scratch, but hopefully I don't have to format the Mac partition... UGH!

So my weekend challenge is to succeed where Neural Net could not and get this machine working again, hopefully with as few (data) casualties as possible. If you have any advice or well-wishes, leave it in the comments!

Update: It took me 10 minutes to fix the problem. The only casualty was my bro's pirated movie/music collection. You can imagine how bad I feel about that...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the words of the great encouraging artist, Rob Schneider, "YOU CAN DO IT!"